adjective. ['ˈoʊpənɪŋ'] first or beginning.
- be born
- log in
Words that Rhyme with Opening
How do you pronounce opening?
Pronounce opening as ˈoʊpənɪŋ.
US - How to pronounce opening in American English
UK - How to pronounce opening in British English
Example sentences of the word opening
1. Verb, gerund or present participle
in the tank and then letting it out by opening the purge valve.
2. Noun, singular or mass
Secure the ticket door every two inches on one side of the opening with small pieces of chicken wire.
Quotes containing the word opening
1. In a good bookroom you feel in some mysterious way that you are absorbing the wisdom contained in all the books through your skin, without even opening them.
- Mark Twain
2. What I particularly like about Broadway is the camaraderie and the friendship of other people in other shows. Everybody knows you're opening and cares about you. There's a real village atmosphere.
- Ian Mckellen
3. How do you feel, Georgie?"whispered Mrs. Weasley.George's fingers groped for the side of his head."Saintlike,"he murmured."What's wrong with him?"croaked Fred, looking terrified. "Is his mind affected?""Saintlike,"repeated George, opening his eyes and looking up at his brother. "You see...I'm HOLEY, Fred, geddit?
- J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
noun. ['ˈoʊpənɪŋ'] an open or empty space in or between things.
- Ranvier's nodes
- Earth's surface
- nodes of Ranvier
noun. ['ˈoʊpənɪŋ'] becoming open or being made open.
noun. ['ˈoʊpənɪŋ'] a ceremony accompanying the start of some enterprise.
noun. ['ˈoʊpənɪŋ'] the first performance (as of a theatrical production).
- opening night
- curtain raising
noun. ['ˈoʊpənɪŋ'] the act of opening something.
- pop in
- stand still
- hop on
noun. ['ˈoʊpənɪŋ'] a recognized sequence of moves at the beginning of a game of chess.
- chess opening
noun. ['ˈoʊpənɪŋ'] an entrance equipped with a hatch; especially a passageway between decks of a ship.
- escape hatch
noun. ['ˈoʊpənɪŋ'] the first of a series of actions.
- first step
- opening move
- curtain raiser
- first base
- peace initiative
- get on
- file in
noun. ['ˈoʊpənɪŋ'] the initial part of the introduction.
- good part