verb. ['kənˈteɪn'] include or contain; have as a component.
Words that Rhyme with Contain
How do you pronounce contain?
Pronounce contain as kənˈteɪn.
US - How to pronounce contain in American English
UK - How to pronounce contain in British English
How do you spell contain? Is it countain ?
A common misspelling of contain is countain
Example sentences of the word contain
1. Verb, non-3rd person singular present
They also protect the state's watersheds, which contain most of the state's fresh water.
2. Verb, base form
A growth and mutual fund may contain a mix of both stocks and bonds.
Quotes containing the word contain
1. Do I contradict myself? Very well, then, I contradict myself; I am large -- I contain multitudes.
- Walt Whitman
2. I almost wish we were butterflies and liv'd but three summer days - three such days with you I could fill with more delight than fifty common years could ever contain.
- John Keats, Bright Star: Love Letters and Poems of John Keats to Fanny Brawne
3. For books are not absolutely dead things, but do contain a potency of life in them to be as active as that soul was whose progeny they are; nay, they do preserve as in a vial the purest efficacy and extraction of that living intellect that bred them.
- John Milton, Areopagitica
verb. ['kənˈteɪn'] contain or hold; have within.
- hold in
verb. ['kənˈteɪn'] lessen the intensity of; temper; hold in restraint; hold or keep within limits.
- stamp down
- keep back
- hold back
- hold in
verb. ['kənˈteɪn'] hold back, as of a danger or an enemy; check the expansion or influence of.
- cut out
- cut down
- turn back
verb. ['kənˈteɪn'] be divisible by.
verb. ['kənˈteɪn'] be capable of holding or containing.