noun. ['ˈʌtɝəns'] the use of uttered sounds for auditory communication.
- roll call
- speech sound
- auditory communication
- speech production
- -ance (English)
- oultrance (Old French (842-ca. 1400))
- utter (English)
- utera (Old English (ca. 450-1100))
Words that Rhyme with Utterance
Example sentences of the word utterance
1. Noun, singular or mass
Compare the child's average length of utterance with data for his age level.
Quotes containing the word utterance
1. The words I love you form an oral floral phrase that's so fragrant it can overpower even the most flagrantly foul-mouthed utterance.
- Jarod Kintz, This Book is Not FOR SALE
2. The author who benefits you most is not the one who tells you something you did not know before, but the one who gives expression to the truth that has been dumbly struggling in you for utterance.
- Oswald Chambers