verb. ['səbˈsɪst'] support oneself.
- live on
- hold out
- hold up
- subsister (French)
- subsistere (Latin)
Words that Rhyme with Subsist
Example sentences of the word subsist
1. Verb, non-3rd person singular present
Bed mites subsist on dead skin cells, and their feces are what cause allergy symptoms in some people.
2. Verb, base form
While they can subsist on fish flakes, they are much healthier when they eat a varied diet.
Quotes containing the word subsist
1. Trying to remember a dream from a decade ago is like trying to catch fog in a coffee filter. I could subsist on morning mist.
- Jarod Kintz, This Book is Not FOR SALE
2. Yes, yes, I see it all! — an enormous social activity, a mighty civilization, a profuseness of science, of art, of industry, of morality, and afterwords, when we have filled the world with industrial marvels, with great factories, with roads, museums and libraries, we shall fall exhausted at the foot of it all, and it will subsist — for whom? Was man made for science or was science made for man?
- Miguel de Unamuno, Tragic Sense of Life