noun. ['ˈoʊpiːəm'] an addictive narcotic extracted from seed capsules of the opium poppy.
- controlled substance
- hard drug
Rhymes with Opium
Sentences with opium
1. Noun, singular or mass
Opiate drugs are those that are derived, either naturally or synthetically, from the opium plant.
Quotes about opium
1. You know,"Gabriel said, "there was a time I thought we could be friends, Will.""There was a time I thought I was a ferret,"Will said, "but that turned out to be the opium haze. Did you know it had that effect? Because I didn't.
- Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
2. This diary is my kief, hashish and opium pipe. This is my drug and my vice.
- Anaïs Nin
3. Some of us look for the Way in opium and some in God, some of us in whiskey and some in love. It is all the same Way and it leads nowhither.
- W. Somerset Maugham, The Painted Veil