noun. ['ˈneɪ'] a negative.
- nai (Middle English (1100-1500))
Words that Rhyme with Nay
Example sentences of the word nay
1. Noun, singular or mass
He then gives a yay or nay to your septic tank installation.
Whether your answer is yay or nay, it's inconsiderate to let the invitation simmer.
Quotes containing the word nay
1. For books are not absolutely dead things, but do contain a potency of life in them to be as active as that soul was whose progeny they are; nay, they do preserve as in a vial the purest efficacy and extraction of that living intellect that bred them.
- John Milton, Areopagitica
2. Some of you say, “Joy is greater than sorrow,” and others say, “Nay, sorrow is the greater.”But I say unto you, they are inseparable.Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.
- Kahlil Gibran, The Prophet
3. Blood of my Blood,"he whispered, "and bone of my bone. You carry me within ye, Claire, and ye canna leave me now, no matter what happens, You are mine, always, if ye will it or no, if ye want me or nay. Mine, and I wilna let ye go.
- Diana Gabaldon, Dragonfly in Amber