noun. ['ˈmæp'] a diagrammatic representation of the earth's surface (or part of it).
- choropleth map
- relief map
- weather map
- weather chart
- road map
- contour map
Words that Rhyme with Map
Example sentences of the word map
1. Noun, singular or mass
Grab the head, which is marked on your map as a blue star.
2. Verb, 3rd person singular present
Companies map out the types of workers and skills needed to fill vacancies.
3. Verb, base form
The cardboard will be used to map** out where the shower fixtures will go.
Quotes containing the word map
1. When my dad founded our church, he used either a globe or a map of the world behind him. It was symbolic of what Christ said: to go forth and preach hope to the world. We believe in the cross, but we just continued with the globe.
- Joel Osteen
2. When I get lonely these days, I think: So BE lonely, Liz. Learn your way around loneliness. Make a map of it. Sit with it, for once in your life. Welcome to the human experience. But never again use another person's body or emotions as a scratching post for your own unfulfilled yearnings.
- Elizabeth Gilbert, Eat, Pray, Love
3. Whatever you do, you need courage. Whatever course you decide upon, there is always someone to tell you that you are wrong. There are always difficulties arising that tempt you to believe your critics are right. To map out a course of action and follow it to an end requires some of the same courage that a soldier needs. Peace has its victories, but it takes brave men and women to win them.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
noun. a person who can read maps.
verb. ['ˈmæp'] make a map of; show or establish the features of details of.
verb. ['ˈmæp'] explore or survey for the purpose of making a map.
noun. ['ˈmæp'] (mathematics) a mathematical relation such that each element of a given set (the domain of the function) is associated with an element of another set (the range of the function).
- metric function
- mathematical function
- Kronecker delta
- inverse function
- threshold function
- exponential function
- trigonometric function
- circular function
- single-valued function
- mathematical relation
verb. ['ˈmæp'] to establish a mapping (of mathematical elements or sets).
verb. ['ˈmæp'] depict as if on a map.
- live in
verb. ['ˈmæp'] locate within a specific region of a chromosome in relation to known DNA or gene sequences.
verb. ['ˈmæp'] plan, delineate, or arrange in detail.
- map out