verb. ['ˈlɝːk'] lie in wait, lie in ambush, behave in a sneaky and secretive manner.
Words that Rhyme with Lurk
Example sentences of the word lurk
1. Verb, non-3rd person singular present
They often lurk in deep water during the day, before entering the shallows at night to hunt.
2. Noun, singular or mass
They roll into dark crevasses under the bed, hide beneath picnic tables and lurk near the potty chair.
3. Verb, base form
Leopards prefer to lurk in the shadows of night when pursuing prey like antelope.
4. Adjective, comparative
After all, you don't know what challenges lurk outside your front door.
Quotes containing the word lurk
1. You must write every single day of your life... You must lurk in libraries and climb the stacks like ladders to sniff books like perfumes and wear books like hats upon your crazy heads... may you be in love every day for the next 20,000 days. And out of that love, remake a world.
- Ray Bradbury
2. It turns out that an eerie type of chaos can lurk just behind a facade of order - and yet, deep inside the chaos lurks an even eerier type of order.
- Douglas R. Hofstadter, Metamagical Themas: Questing for the Essence of Mind and Pattern
3. We real cool. We Left school. We Lurk late. We Strike straight. We Sing sin. We Thin gin. We Jazz June. We Die soon.
- Gwendolyn Brooks, Selected Poems
verb. ['ˈlɝːk'] be about.
- mess about
- hang around
- mill around
- mill about
verb. ['ˈlɝːk'] wait in hiding to attack.
- stand still