noun. ['ˈfrægmənt'] a piece broken off or cut off of something else.
Words that Rhyme with Fragment
Example sentences of the word fragment
1. Noun, singular or mass
For a sentence to be a complete sentence and not a fragment, it must include a subject.
2. Verb, base form
This compression causes the nail to fragment or split.
Organize students into small groups and have them select from a fragment board of clues.
Quotes containing the word fragment
1. The work of art, just like any fragment of human life considered in its deepest meaning, seems to me devoid of value if it does not offer the hardness, the rigidity, the regularity, the luster on every interior and exterior facet, of the crystal.
- Pope Paul VI
2. There are very few human beings who receive the truth, complete and staggering, by instant illumination. Most of them acquire it fragment by fragment, on a small scale, by successive developments, cellularly, like a laborious mosaic.
- Anaïs Nin, Journals Of Anais Nin Volume 3
3. It is after all so easy to shatter a story. To break a chain of thought. To ruin a fragment of a dream being carried around carefully like a piece of porcelain. To let it be, to travel with it, as Velutha did, is much the harder thing to do.
- Arundhati Roy, The God of Small Things
noun. ['ˈfrægmənt'] a broken piece of a brittle artifact.
- stand still
noun. ['ˈfrægmənt'] an incomplete piece.
verb. ['ˈfrægmənt'] break or cause to break into pieces.
- come apart
- fall apart
- split up
- break up