verb. ['əˈvɛndʒ'] take revenge for a perceived wrong.
- get back
- avengier (Old French (842-ca. 1400))
Words that Rhyme with Avenge
Example sentences of the word avenge
1. Verb, non-3rd person singular present
The code of honor in Hamlet’s world demands that men avenge wrongs, as Laertes does.
Quotes containing the word avenge
1. It is always betterto avenge dear ones than to indulge in mourning.For every one of us, living in this worldmeans waiting for our end. Let whoever canwin glory before death. When a warrior is gone,that will be his best and only bulwark.
- Seamus Heaney, Beowulf
2. Men ought either to be well treated or crushed, because they can avenge themselves of lighter injuries, of more serious ones they cannot; therefore the injury that is to be done to a man ought to be of such a kind that one does not stand in fear of revenge.
- Niccolò Machiavelli, The Prince
3. Mine Enemy is growing old --I have at last Revenge --The Palate of the Hate departs --If any would avenge Let him be quick -- the Viand flits --It is a faded Meat --Anger as soon as fed is dead --'Tis starving makes it fat
- Emily Dickinson, I'm Nobody! Who Are You?