Table of Contents
noun. ['ˈætəm'] (physics and chemistry) the smallest component of an element having the chemical properties of the element.
- atome (Old French (842-ca. 1400))
- atomus (Latin)
Rhymes with Atom
How do you pronounce atom?
Pronounce atom as ˈætəm.
US - How to pronounce atom in American English
UK - How to pronounce atom in British English
Sentences with atom
1. Noun, singular or mass
Generally, the first atom when read left to right is the least abundant in the compound.
An atom consists of a central nucleus and electrons that move around the outside of the nucleus.
Quotes about atom
1. The success that Americans are said to worship is success of a specific sort: accomplished not through hard work, primarily, but through the ingenious angle, the big break. Sit down at a lunch counter, stand back up a star. Invest in a new issue and watch it soar. Split a single atom, win a war.
- Walter Kirn
2. I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.
- Jack London
3. Every atom of your flesh is as dear to me as my own: in pain and sickness it would still be dear.
- Charlotte Brontë, Jane Eyre