adjective. ['ˈɝːbən'] located in or characteristic of a city or city life.
- urbanus (Latin)
- -anus (Latin)
Rhymes with Urban
How do you pronounce urban?
Pronounce urban as ˈərbən.
US - How to pronounce urban in American English
UK - How to pronounce urban in British English
Sentences with urban
The need will be concentrated in urban areas.
Quotes about urban
1. It has been discovered that with a dull urban population, all formed under a mechanical system of State education, a suggestion or command, however senseless and unreasoned, will be obeyed if it be sufficiently repeated.
- Hilaire Belloc, An Essay on the Restoration of Property
2. But while the urban tribe helps us survive, it does not help us thrive. The urban tribe may bring us soup when we are sick, but it is the people we hardly know - those who never make it into our tribe - who will swiftly and dramatically change our lives for the better.
- Meg Jay, The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter--And How to Make the Most of Them Now
3. Public education is not broken. It is not failing or declining. The diagnosis is wrong, and the solutions of the corporate reformers are wrong. Our urban schools are in trouble because of concentrated poverty and racial segregation. But public education is not ‘broken.’ Public education is in a crisis only so far as society is and only so far as this new narrative of crisis has destabilized it.
- Diane Ravitch, Reign of Error: The Hoax of the Privatization Movement and the Danger to America's Public Schools