Table of Contents
noun. ['ˈsɪfəlɪs'] a common venereal disease caused by the treponema pallidum spirochete; symptoms change through progressive stages; can be congenital (transmitted through the placenta).
- secondary syphilis
- social disease
- Cupid's itch
- venereal infection
- Venus's curse
- lues venerea
- primary syphilis
- Cupid's disease
- sexually transmitted disease
- venereal disease
- tertiary syphilis
Rhymes with Syphilis
How do you pronounce syphilis?
Pronounce syphilis as ˈsɪfəlɪs.
US - How to pronounce syphilis in American English
UK - How to pronounce syphilis in British English
How do you spell syphilis? Is it syphyllis ?
A common misspelling of syphilis is syphyllis
Sentences with syphilis
1. Noun, singular or mass
The syphilis can be treated with penicillin, but once the teeth have formed, their shape is set.
3. Noun, plural
Proper treatment for infectious diseases such as syphilis or tuberculosis will help treat the disease and alleviate the symptoms.
One illness that can cause these unusually-shaped teeth is congenital syphilis 3.
Quotes about syphilis
1. If you're looking for sympathy you'll find it between shit and syphilis in the dictionary.
- David Sedaris, Barrel Fever: Stories and Essays
2. You don't want him,"she said to the pink-haired girl. "He has syphilis."The girls stared. "Syphilis?""Five percent of people in America have it,"said Ty helpfully."I do not have syphilis,"Mark said angrily. "There are no sexually transmitted diseases in Faerieland!"”Sorry,"Jules said. "You know how syphilis is. Attacks the brain.
- Cassandra Clare, Lady Midnight