noun. ['ˈsɔrd'] a cutting or thrusting weapon that has a long metal blade and a hilt with a hand guard.
- fencing sword
- weapon system
- cavalry sword
- sword (Middle English (1100-1500))
Words that Rhyme with Sword
Example sentences of the word sword
1. Noun, singular or mass
Paint the sword with craft paint and allow it to dry.
Quotes containing the word sword
1. ... a mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge.
- George R.R. Martin, A Game of Thrones
2. So many tangles in life are ultimately hopeless that we have no appropriate sword other than laughter.
- Gordon W. Allport
3. War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
noun. a scar from a cut made by a sword.
adjective. shaped like a sword blade.