Table of Contents
adverb. ['səˈpoʊzədli'] believed or reputed to be the case.
- -ly (English)
- -lice (Old English (ca. 450-1100))
- supposed (English)
Rhymes with Supposedly
How do you pronounce supposedly?
Pronounce supposedly as səˈpoʊzədli.
US - How to pronounce supposedly in American English
UK - How to pronounce supposedly in British English
Sentences with supposedly
The moles supposedly then leave the treated area in search of a new food source.
Quotes about supposedly
1. I hope that Americans will give careful and well-informed thought to root causes and historical realities, in which case I think they will question why a supposedly 'legitimate' state such as Israel has had to conduct decades of war against a subject refugee population without ever achieving its goals.
- Ismail Haniyeh
2. The supposedly immaterial soul, we now know, can be bisected with a knife, altered by chemicals, started or stopped by electricity, and extinguished by a sharp blow or by insufficient oxygen.
- Steven Pinker, How the Mind Works
3. I don't care what is written,"Meyer Landsman says. "I don't care what supposedly got promised to some sandal-wearing idiot whose claim to fame is that he was ready to cut his own son's throat for the sake of a hare-brained idea. I don't care about red heifers and patriarchs and locusts. A bunch of old bones in the sand. My homeland is in my hat. It's in my ex-wife's tote bag.
- Michael Chabon, The Yiddish Policemen's Union