adjective. ['ˈsmʌg'] marked by excessive complacency or self-satisfaction.
- smuk (Middle Low German)
- gesmuc (Middle High German (ca. 1050-1500))
Rhymes with Smug
Sentences with smug
1. Noun, singular or mass
Share your personal experiences without appearing smug.
People are so smug when they’ve been to the gym.
Quotes about smug
1. We kiss all the time."I clear my throat, then add, "We just...do it in private.""A smug expression crosses his face. "I don't buy it for a second, 'cause if you were my girlfriend and a stud like me was livin' in your house, I'd kiss you in front of the guy every chance I got as a reminder.""A reminder of w-w-what?""That you were mine.
- Simone Elkeles, Rules of Attraction
2. Atheism, a religion dedicated to its own sense of smug superiority.
- Stephen Colbert
3. I wish we had the technology to fight God on an equal basis. To beard him in his den. To fight back for all of the injustices heaped on humanity. To allow him to alter his smug arrogance or be blown to hell.
- Dan Simmons, The Fall of Hyperion