noun. ['ˈsɝː'] term of address for a man.
- adult male
- sir (Middle English (1100-1500))
- sire (Old French (842-ca. 1400))
Rhymes with Sir
How do you pronounce sir?
Pronounce sir as sər.
US - How to pronounce sir in American English
UK - How to pronounce sir in British English
Sentences with sir
1. Verb, base form
Whatever the reason is, Auggie — we here at Cuteness HQ salute you, sir!
Quotes about sir
1. Do you remember me telling you we are practicing non-verbal spells, Potter?""Yes,"said Harry stiffly."Yes, sir.""There's no need to call me "sir"Professor."The words had escaped him before he knew what he was saying.
- J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
2. What would men be without women? Scarce, sir...mighty scarce.
- Mark Twain
3. I don't call you handsome, sir, though I love you most dearly: far too dearly to flatter you. Don't flatter me.
- Charlotte Bronte
noun. a title used before the name of knight or baronet.