adverb. ['ˈsaɪləntli'] without speaking.
- -ly (English)
- -lice (Old English (ca. 450-1100))
- silent (English)
Words that Rhyme with Silently
Example sentences of the word silently
Write a message on a piece of paper and have the first person read it silently.
2. Verb, base form
This understated cube was designed to silently purify your air.
Quotes containing the word silently
1. Silently, one by one, in the infinite meadows of heaven,Blossomed the lovely stars, the forget-me-nots of the angels.
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, Evangeline: A Tale of Acadie
2. Believe there is a great power silently working all things for good, behave yourself and never mind the rest.
- Beatrix Potter
3. They lay silently. She was staring at something across the room. She was making him feel uncomfortable. 'It wouldn't work. It's the attraction of opposites,' he said.We're not opposites.'I don't mean just you and me. Women fall in love when they get to know you. Men are just the opposite. When they finally know you they're ready to leave.
- James Salter