verb. ['ˈpɝːsəˌkjuːt'] cause to suffer.
- keep down
- persécuter (French)
- persequor (Latin)
Words that Rhyme with Persecute
Example sentences of the word persecute
1. Verb, base form
It now became acceptable to persecute and massacre Jews, who were also seen as enemies of the Church.
Quotes containing the word persecute
1. But I say to you, Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven; for he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.
- Jesus Christ
2. I'd like you to know that I have forgiven him. Again and again. Once done, course, back comes the Enemy to persecute and persecute, and I must ante up to God and forgive yet again.
- Jan Karon, Home to Holly Springs
3. All the stories I would like to write persecute me. When I am in my chamber, it seems as if they are all around me, like little devils, and while one tugs at my ear, another tweaks my nose, and each says to me, 'Sir, write me, I am beautiful.
- Umberto Eco, The Island of the Day Before