adverb. ['ˈnɪrɝ'] (comparative of
near' orclose') within a shorter distance.
Rhymes with Nearer
Sentences with nearer
1. Noun, singular or mass
Move the projector nearer or farther from the wall until the image projection is the size you like.
2. Preposition or subordinating conjunction
Drill another hole, nearer the end of the strip, identical to the first one.
It helps you locate space nearer your new job and a public transportation route.
Quotes about nearer
1. Don't flatter yourselves that friendship authorizes you to say disagreeable things to your intimates. On the contrary, the nearer you come into relation with a person, the more necessary do tact and courtesy become.
- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr.
2. It must be remembered that the sea is a great breeder of friendship. Two men who have known each other for twenty years find that twenty days at sea bring them nearer than ever they were before, or else estrange them.
- Gilbert Parker
3. The art of the novelist is not unrelated to the illness of multiple personality disorder. It's a much milder form. But the better the book, the nearer to the padded cell you are.
- David Mitchell