Table of Contents
noun. ['ˈmætrəs'] a large thick pad filled with resilient material and often incorporating coiled springs, used as a bed or part of a bed.
- air mattress
- feather bed
- spring mattress
- natural object
- get up
- turn out
- materas (Middle English (1100-1500))
Rhymes with Mattress
How do you pronounce mattress?
Pronounce mattress as ˈmætrəs.
US - How to pronounce mattress in American English
UK - How to pronounce mattress in British English
Sentences with mattress
1. Noun, singular or mass
Lay the mattress on top of a sheet of newspaper, and trace around it.
Turn the mattress sheet cover right side out where the seams are on the inside.
Quotes about mattress
1. I had fun last night,"I told Patch, flicking off my chin strap and handing over my helmet. "I'm officially on love with your sheets.""That the only thing you're in love with?""Nope. Your mattress, too."Some smile crept into Patch's eyes. "My bed's an open invitation.
- Becca Fitzpatrick, Silence
2. But the not-very-highbrow truth of the matter was that the reading was how I got my ya-yas out.For the sake of my bookish reputation I upgraded to Tolstoy and Steinbeck before I understood them, but my dark secret was that really, I preferred the junk. The Dragonriders of Pern, Flowers in the Attic, The Clan of the Cave Bear. This stuff was like my stash of Playboys under the mattress.
- Julie Powell, Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen: How One Girl Risked Her Marriage, Her Job, and Her Sanity to Master the Art of Living
3. On a grander scale, when a society segregates itself, the consequences affect the economy, the emotions, and the ecology. That's one reason why it's easy for pro-lifers to eat factory-raised animals that disrespect everything sacred about creation. And that is why it's easy for rabid environmentalists to hate chainsaws even though they snuggle into a mattress supported by a black walnut bedstead.
- Joel Salatin, Everything I Want to Do Is Illegal: War Stories from the Local Food Front