noun. ['ˈmɑːrtɝ'] one who suffers for the sake of principle.
- switch on
Words that Rhyme with Martyr
How do you pronounce martyr?
Pronounce martyr as ˈmɑrtər.
US - How to pronounce martyr in American English
UK - How to pronounce martyr in British English
Example sentences of the word martyr
1. Noun, singular or mass
It is also not known whether he died naturally or whether he was a martyr.
Quotes containing the word martyr
1. The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins.
- Søren Kierkegaard, The Journals of Kierkegaard
2. The ink of the scholar is more holy than the blood of the martyr.
3. Was not Hypatia the greatest philosopher of Alexandria, and a true martyr to the old values of learning? She was torn to pieces by a mob of incensed Christians not because she was a woman, but because her learning was so profound, her skills at dialectic so extensive that she reduced all who queried her to embarrassed silence. They could not argue with her, so they murdered her.
- Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio
verb. ['ˈmɑːrtɝ'] torture and torment like a martyr.
verb. ['ˈmɑːrtɝ'] kill as a martyr.
noun. ['ˈmɑːrtɝ'] one who voluntarily suffers death as the penalty for refusing to renounce their religion.
- Saint Polycarp