Table of Contents
noun. ['ˈaɪvɝi, ˈaɪvri'] a hard smooth ivory colored dentine that makes up most of the tusks of elephants and walruses.
- ivorie (Middle English (1100-1500))
- ivurie (Anglo-Norman)
Rhymes with Ivory
Quotes about ivory
1. Yet the ivory gods, And the ebony gods, And the gods of diamond-jade, Are only silly puppet gods That people themselves Have made.-
- Langston Hughes
2. I took the volume to a table, opened its soft, ivory pages... and fell into it as into a pool during dry season.
- Janet Fitch, White Oleander
3. In the liquid amber within the ivory porcelain, the initiated may touch the sweet reticence of Confucius, the piquancy of Laotse, and the ethereal aroma of Sakyamuni himself.
- Okakura Kakuzō, The Book of Tea
noun. a stemless palm tree of Brazil and Peru bearing ivory nuts.
noun. large black-and-white woodpecker of southern United States and Cuba having an ivory bill; nearly extinct.