adjective. ['fɝˈlɔrn'] marked by or showing hopelessness.
- forlorn (Middle English (1100-1500))
Words that Rhyme with Forlorn
Example sentences of the word forlorn
1. Verb, past participle
Instead look for a pup with a lower energy level, but without being forlorn or apathetic.
Quotes containing the word forlorn
1. Pity the selfishness of lovers: it is brief, a forlorn hope; it is impossible.
- Elizabeth Bowen
2. Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Return of the King
3. In imagination she sailed over storied seas that wash the distant shining shores of "faëry lands forlorn,"where lost Atlantis and Elysium lie, with the evening star for pilot, to the land of Heart's Desire. And she was richer in those dreams than in realities; for things seen pass away, but the things that are unseen are eternal.
- L.M. Montgomery, Anne of the Island