noun. a room in a hospital or clinic staffed and equipped to provide emergency care to persons requiring immediate medical treatment.
- emergency room
Words that Rhyme with Er
Example sentences of the word er
1. Noun, singular or mass
Holy cow, er, chicken: McNuggets are 57 percent fat!
Quotes containing the word er
1. How did you die?""We er....drowned in a bathtub.""All three of you?""It was a big bathtub.
- Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief
2. Name the different kinds of people,’ said Miss Lupescu. ‘Now.’Bod thought for a moment. ‘The living,’ he said. ‘Er. The dead.’ He stopped. Then, ‘... Cats?’ he offered, uncertainly.
- Neil Gaiman, The Graveyard Book
3. Bad news, Harry. I've just been to see Professor McGonagall about the Firebolt. She – er, got a bit shirty with me. Told me I'd got my priorities wrong. Seemed to think I cared more about winning the Cup than I do about staying alive. Just because I told her I didn't care if it threw you off, as long as you caught the Snitch first.
- J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
noun. a trivalent metallic element of the rare earth group; occurs with yttrium.
- metallic element
- atomic number 68