noun. ['ˈkʌbɝd'] a small room (or recess) or cabinet used for storage space.
- broom closet
- airing cupboard
- storage space
- cuppebord (Middle English (1100-1500))
Words that Rhyme with Cupboard
How do you pronounce cupboard?
Pronounce cupboard as ˈkəbərd.
US - How to pronounce cupboard in American English
UK - How to pronounce cupboard in British English
Example sentences of the word cupboard
1. Noun, singular or mass
Position it on a high shelf or cupboard and as close to the center of the room as possible.
Quotes containing the word cupboard
1. We've got this gift of love, but love is like a precious plant. You can't just accept it and leave it in the cupboard or just think it's going to get on by itself. You've got to keep watering it. You've got to really look after it and nurture it.
- John Lennon
2. A man who wants to die feels angry and full of life and desperate and bored and exhausted, all at the same time; he wants to fight everyone, and he wants to curl up in a ball and hide in a cupboard somewhere. He wants to say sorry to everyone, and he wants everyone to know just how badly they've all let him down.
- Nick Hornby, A Long Way Down
3. I had a dream about you last night. We went to the store cupboard to make out, but we ended up sharing our pain and then crying together. We wasn't prepared for this level of intimacy.
- Michael Summers, I Had a Dream About You