adverb. ['ˈklɛvɝli'] in a clever manner.
- -ly (English)
- -lice (Old English (ca. 450-1100))
- clever (English)
Words that Rhyme with Cleverly
Example sentences of the word cleverly
A sturdy ladder leads up to the bed that’s cleverly placed to overlook the lush landscape outdoors.
One trick to keeping it trim is using a cleverly healthful salad dressing.
3. Verb, base form
Pear slices can cleverly act as mini “pizza” crusts.
Quotes containing the word cleverly
1. Don't fall in love with your wit. Your cleverly turned phrase may not, as you hope, show off how much gray matter you have, especially if the phrase is at someone else's expense.
- Harvey Mackay
2. Of course it hurt that we could never love each other in a physical way. We would have been far more happy if we had. But that was like the tides, the change of seasons--something immutable, an immovable destiny we could never alter. No matter how cleverly we might shelter it, our delicate friendship wasn't going to last forever. We were bound to reach a dead end. That was painfully clear.
- Haruki Murakami, Sputnik Sweetheart
3. The key to a successful relationship isn’t just in the words, it’s in the choice of punctuation. When you’re in love with someone, a well-placed question mark can be the difference between bliss and disaster, and a deeply respected period or a cleverly inserted ellipsis can prevent all kinds of exclamations.
- David Levithan, The Lover's Dictionary