noun. any important early teacher of Christianity or a Christian missionary to a people.
Words that Rhyme with Apostle
Example sentences of the word apostle
1. Noun, singular or mass
The apostle Paul wrote in Corinthians I about what a real marriage should be.
The author of the book is believed to be the apostle John.
Quotes containing the word apostle
1. A book is a mirror: if an ape looks into it an apostle is hardly likely to look out.
- Georg Christoph Lichtenberg, Sudelbücher.
2. A poet is not an apostle; he drives out devils only by the power of the devil.
- Søren Kierkegaard, Fear And Trembling / Repetition
noun. (New Testament) one of the original 12 disciples chosen by Christ to preach his gospel.
- nonreligious person
noun. ['əˈpɔsəl'] an ardent early supporter of a cause or reform.
- apostle (Old French (842-ca. 1400))
- ἀπόστολος (Ancient Greek (to 1453))