adverb. ['əˈlæs'] by bad luck.
- as luck would have it
- a las (Old French (842-ca. 1400))
Words that Rhyme with Alas
Example sentences of the word alas
1. Noun, plural
It looks like you get October free, but alas, that isn't the case.
Quotes containing the word alas
1. Alas! Earwax!
- J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
2. We are the hollow menWe are the stuffed menLeaning togetherHeadpiece filled with straw. Alas!Our dried voices, whenWe whisper togetherAre quiet and meaninglessAs wind in dry grassOr rats' feet over broken glassIn our dry cellarShape without form, shade without colour,Paralysed force, gesture without motion;- The Hollow Men
- T.S. Eliot, Poems: 1909-1925
3. The absence of the will to live is, alas, not sufficient to make one want to die.
- Michel Houellebecq